This is truly a noble theme and yet where is the ethics part?
I would add, “ethics begins with you,” as well.
Compliance may be more teachable as the law is the law. One must know it, its implications and its applicability in the workplace. This is very important and necessary, however, where does ethics fit into this? Please don’t say that ethics is included in compliance training. If it is, ethics probably gets lip service compared to compliance.
Take a look at your “Compliance begins with you” week’s agenda of activities, programs, etc. and reflect for just a moment on how much of your emphasis is on compliance and how much emphasis is on ethics?
There are so many resources to help with the incorporation of ethics into your not only your week’s programming, but into your everyday training activities. Take some time, look, decide and act.
A starting point for reflection/discussion might be:
- Can one be complaint and unethical at the same time? If so, how do you handle this?
- Is your definition of ethics in compliance/legal terminology?
- Is the perception of your people that compliance and ethics are one in the same?
- What percentage of the compliance training budget is solely for ethics training?
- How do you evaluate the “success” of the Corporate Compliance and Ethics Week’s programming?
There is still time to plan purposefully, intently and creatively for your “Compliance begins with you” programming, but we’re about a month away. Please don’t’ wait too much longer!