What would be “ethics risks” in organizations? How would you respond to these statements?
An ethics risk could be:
• In not being proactive in helping employees understand the differences and likenesses of compliance and ethics.
• In not providing ongoing, quality ethics training by professionals trained in ethics.
• In not understanding that if a process of thinking ethically is in place, it could decrease dramatically the possibility of an ethics and compliance violation.
• In believing that everyone already knows how to behave ethically.
• In making the assumption that all is well and nothing will go wrong.
• An employee who is being “kept on the job” despite questionable behavior.
• A leader who continually “violates” the corporate values with his/her employees.
• When ethics training is not taken as seriously as compliance training.
• When the only time a prospective employee sees a company’s code of ethics and/or conduct is when they sign the document when they are hired.
How many more “ethics risks” can you name? If any of these risks are observable in your organization, how are they being addressed and if not, why?