“Failed leadership is about the lack of commitment, empowerment and transparency.” Bill
This statement finds its basis in a lack of moral awareness on the part of the leader. For to be morally aware, you need to:
1. Commit to moral principles
2. Develop a sensitivity and the realization that there is risk involved in living out those principles.
3. Have a resolve to, if needed, pay the price.
Moral awareness is:
• When a person recognizes that a moral problem exists or that a moral principles is relevant to s set of circumstances.
• When a person deliberately and reflectively examines one’s actions and understands how they affect the people involved.
• When a person is in touch with one’s innate sense of morality and can feel the moral component of a situation.
So the leadership questions are, how is principle of moral awareness taught, modeled and experienced in your organization? Are moral principles taught in leadership development training? If not, why not?
Lastly, what do you as leader have to lose by incorporating these ideas into your corporate training initiatives?