As business issues and practices can disrupt, challenge and even distort one’s mission, time needs to be taken, on a regular basis to stop, and clarify your leadership mission.
Use these questions as a basis to aid the process of self reflection:
1. What is your basic purpose in your profession?
2. What are (or should be) your principal functions, roles, present and future?
3. What is your uniqueness that you bring to your profession?
4. What is different about your business from what it was 3-5 years ago?
5. What is likely to be different about your business 3-5 years in the future?
6. How will your role/function change and why?
7. What ethical issues, and personal values are important to your future?
8. What to you need to learn or do to meet the challenges of 1-7?
9. Design a plan and timetable to focus on your answer to #8.
If leaders do not continually discern their effectiveness, their mission, and the role ethics and values play in their roles, who isn’t shortchanged in the business they’re leading?