Update your ethics training this summer by…………………….
1. Emphasizing the moral dilemmas that your people face everyday.
The more practical the approach, the better people learn !
2. Focus on the “how” and “why” people were caught for real life examples.
Real life examples are the best teaching tool for application of thinking morally/ethically.
3. Work to dispel the myth that whatever is legal is OK!
Ethics is not compliance and vice versa. Make the distinction for your people.
4. Understand that rewarding ethical behavior works and has a tremendous impact on morale.
Punish immediately those who do wrong and reward immediately those who do right.
Get rid of the term”Whistleblower”. They are just living out the values that you trained them to embrace. Reward them and it will foster great morale, employee loyalty and save you $$$ in court to fight them!!
5. Use the workplace as examples for ethics.
Teach them the tools for effective ethical decision making that can be applied consistently
6. Implementing ongoing ethics training for all.
From the C-suite to the new hire, no exceptions!
7. Be wary of online ethics training that uses “ yes and no” answers.
What in life is a simply yes or no?? Nothing! Ethics training should make people uncomfortable, challenged, inspired, and renewed!
Now the real question here is: Who’s going to do this training??? If compliance professionals are not trained in this approach, then who will do this? Who?